Skip to main content

Auto Insurance

DFR Consumer Guide to Auto Insurance

DFR Guide to Auto Repair

Purchasing Auto Insurance

Filing an Auto Insurance Claim


What is an SR-22 Filing?  Drivers convicted of certain violations of law (DUI, driving without insurance, etc.) may be required to obtain an SR-22 Filing to clear a suspension of driver’s license status or to renew their license.  An SR-22 Filing serves as proof that a person has obtained the amount of liability coverage that meets the financial responsibility standards set by Vermont law.

How do I get an SR-22? Contact your insurance agent.  If you do not have an agent you can locate one in your local directory or by searching online.  The agent that you select must have a valid insurance license for the state of Vermont.  And the SR-22 must be written through an insurance company that is licensed to do business in the State of Vermont.

How long do I need to carry an SR-22? Three years from the date of the event that caused the requirement of the SR-22 filing.  (Example:  Operator is ticketed for a DWI on 01/01/2011 and incurs a 90 day suspension that ends on 03/31/2011 the filing is required for three years from 03/31/2011.)  If the policy lapses, or is cancelled, the insurance company is required to notify the State of Vermont Department of Motor Vehicle immediately and your license will be suspended.

What are the liability limits required to obtain an SR-22 in the State of Vermont? The State liability limits for Vermont are $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $10,000 property damage.

What if I am from Out of State and need an SR-22 for Vermont? The company that carries your auto coverage will need to provide the SR-22 to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles to secure the driver’s license in your home state. The company submitting the SR-22 filing must be licensed here in Vermont as well as the state that you are located in. To verify that the company is licensed in Vermont, you may contact the Consumer Services Division in the State of Vermont at 800-964-1784.