Skip to main content

Apply for and Renew Your License

Apply for Your License

To apply for your resident or non-resident individual insurance license, use the specific instructions outlined by license type using the menu on the left. Read the instruction carefully and collect all of the required information before starting the process to apply. 

Many of these license types will require the applicant to submit an electronic application using NIPR.  

 NIPR (National Insurance Producer Registry) is an electronic gateway developed to link state insurance departments with the insurance companies, which they regulate. The goal is to simplify communications and to distribute information electronically, including licensing applications, appointments and terminations. The NIPR Gateway was designed to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the state licensing process among all parties through automation, standardization and reciprocity.

Check out the fee schedules

Renew Your License

You may only renew your license during the renewal period. The license term is April 1 to March 31 of odd years. The department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note: license fees are not prorated, and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

Resident and Non-Resident Adjuster/Individual type licenses expire on March 31 and include Producer, Limited Lines Producer, Title Producer, Business Entity, Limited Lines Business Entity, Managing General Agent, and Bail Bond Agent.

Online Renewals

Please use the following criteria below to find your license renewal through NIPR:

  • Choose renew your license; 
  • Enter your resident state; and
  • Enter your resident state license number.

Note: DFR does not send out a renewed license. A licensee can confirm that their license has been renewed or issued, by checking their License Status. Here you can print a copy of your license information for your records at no cost. The department does not require a licensee to possess a paper copy of their license.

Paper Renewals

Paper renewals are only accepted if the electronic renewal option is not available for your license type listed above, or you have requested, and been granted a Hardship Exception to the electronic processing. At the bottom of this page you will find the NAIC Uniform Renewal/Continuation Application. Checks should be made payable to the VT Dept of Financial Regulation. All paper renewal applications must be in our office prior to March 31, 2019. For answers to additional questions, send an email to Please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Submit to:

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation | Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street • Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
 802) 828-3303 Telephone • (802) 828-1633 Fax