Skip to main content

The Vermont Securities Division strives to protect individual investors by raising consumer awareness and investigating complaints and abusive sales practices. Use the Securities Complaint Form below to submit your complaint online or by mail.

Securities Complaints

Contact Us for Additional Assistance

Department of Financial Regulation
Securities Division
Attn: Investor Complaints
89 Main Street Montpelier, Vermont 05620-3101

802-828-3420 or 877-550-3907

What we can do

We are empowered to bring administrative action if there are violations of the laws we administer, and in appropriate cases, to refer matters to the proper authorities for further investigation and/or criminal prosecution.

All complaints are assigned to an employee of the Securities Division for a thorough evaluation and analysis. This review includes information and documentation provided by you and the firm, as well as written or oral statements of the parties concerned.

Once the facts of the case are established and the related documentation is analyzed, you will be notified of the Division’s findings and whether any violation of the Vermont Uniform Securities Act has occurred. Please note, after careful consideration of the information provided by you, the firm and other sources, we may be unable to substantiate a violation of Vermont Statutes.

What we cannot do

The Securities Division cannot give you specific legal advice or refer you to a particular attorney or investment firm.

The Securities Division does not have authority to provide legal or financial advice to investors, or to represent them in connection with their personal rights.  Any actions taken by the Division with respect to alleged violations of the Vermont Uniform Securities Act are limited to remedial and enforcement actions seeking to prevent further violations. Therefore, an action by the Division would not necessarily result in any monetary benefit to you. If you have suffered a monetary loss, you may wish to consult with an attorney to discuss your legal rights and remedies under the Vermont Uniform Securities Act or other statutes. If you do not have a private attorney, the Vermont Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service may be able to assist you. You can reach the Lawyer Referral Service at:

Vermont Bar Association
Lawyer Referral
35-37 Court Street
P.O. Box 100
Montpelier, VT 05601