Third Party Administrator

Under Rule I-2021-01, effective July 1, 2022, Third Party Administrators (TPAs) require licensure to operate in Vermont. Under the Rule, TPAs are defined as entities that directly or indirectly underwrite, collect charges or premiums from, or adjust or settle claims for Vermont resident with respect to the following lines:

  • Life,
  • Annuity,
  • Health, including, stop-loss coverage, health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), flexible spending accounts (FSAs), and health savings accounts (HSAs) or similar tax-advantaged accounts for health-related expenses.

Licensed insurers and administrators of workers’ compensation lines are not required to apply for licensure as a TPA.

Entities seeking licensure shall apply for an initial application for licensure to operate in Vermont and pay a non-refundable fee of $600. Make checks payable to Department of Financial Regulation. Entities renewing their license will be assessed a fee of $600 every three years following initial licensure. Annual reporting required by the Rule is due on July 1 of each year.

Additional information about the Rule and the NAIC uniform application may be found at the links below:

Annual Report requirements are due by July 1st. 

Please mail applications, supporting materials, and annual reporting to:

Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division, Company Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT  05620

Or email to:

Contact Information

Department of Financial Regulation
Consumer Services 
89 Main Street, Montpelier, VT 05620 - 3101

833-DFR-HOTLINE (toll free)
833-337-4685 (toll free)

Public Information
For public records, media inquiries, and press releases visit our Public Information web page

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon

Employee Information