Title Agent

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Title Agents who missed the March 31, 2017 License Renewal Deadline. The license of a Title Agent who did not renew as of March 31, 2017 has now lapsed. Vermont does not have a “grace period” for a license renewal, and a license cannot be “reactivated”. Individuals, whose license has lapsed, must apply for a new license. In order to apply for a license, follow the instructions listed under How to Apply for a License.

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs.

License Requirements

In order to obtain a Title Agent license an individual must be at least 18 years of age; must be deemed by the Commissioner to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; have passed a written examination; be appointed by a sponsoring insurer and submit a license application and fees.

How to Apply for A License

Nonresident and Resident Electronic Application

Non Resident Title Agents who hold a Resident Title Agents license in their Resident State; AND
Resident Title Agent Applicants can apply electronically using NIPR. (The site should open in a new window. To return to this page, close the new window.)

Complete the online application process and pay the relevant fees.
If your application is routine, and does not require any additional information, the license is generally issued within 48 hours.
If your application is not routine, you will be notified on-line that additional information must be submitted directly by you to the Department. All additional information that must be submitted is outlined on the application, and can be faxed to (802) 828-1633. Your license application will be reviewed after all required information has been received.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

Application Submission Note: A license cannot be issued without an appointment.  Only an Insurer is authorized to submit an appointment.  You should contact the Insurer that is appointing you so once you submit your application, they can submit the required appointment.

Resident - Paper Submission

An applicant must submit to the Sponsoring Insurer the following:

NAIC Uniform Individual Application (This application is used for ALL license types, though they are not all specified on the form);
The original score report showing passage of the Title Agent Examination (please wait 48 hours for the examination to load electronically into our system);
A license application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $30.00. Checks may be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

The sponsoring Insurer will attach the NAIC Appointment Form to the application and submit it to the Department. Once you are licensed, additional Insurers can submit subsequent appointments without any additional documentation from you.


What is the license term?
What is the renewal fee?
Who must have a Title Agent license?
Is Vermont an appointment state?
When must a Title Agent be appointed as an insurer’s agent?
Does Vermont require a Title Agent to have a trust account?

What is the license term?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years. The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

What is the renewal fee?

2017 renewal fee chart.

Who must have a Title Agent license?

Anyone who intends to sell, solicit or negotiate Title insurance must be licensed as a Title Agent.

Is Vermont an appointment state?

Yes, Vermont is an appointment state. If an insurer does business with a Title Agent as its agent, the insurer must appoint the Title Agent as its agent for which the Titile Agent will be acting as the agent of the insurer. Without the appointment, a Title Agent can not hold a license.

When must a Title Agent be appointed as an insurer’s agent?

A Title Agent must be appointed at the time of application.

Does Vermont require a Title Agent to have a trust account?

Yes, in most instances a Title Agent will need a trust account. For more information about trust account requirements see Regulation 95-1.

For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to dfr.producerlicensing@vermont.gov please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax

Attachment Size
[PDF icon]  Title Agent Initial Fee Chart 2018.pdf 25.1 KB

Contact Information

Department of Financial Regulation
Commissioner Michael Pieciak
89 Main Street, Montpelier, VT 05620 - 3101

Public Information
For public records, media inquiries, and press releases visit our Public Information web page

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon





Employee Information